29 Eylül 2019 Pazar

“...like that star of the waning summer who beyond all stars rises bathed in the ocean stream to glitter in brilliance.” ― Homer, The Iliad



Examples for Homeric Hymns Intro

VIII. TO ARES
(1-17) Ares, exceeding in strength, chariot-rider, golden-helmed, doughty in heart, shield-bearer,
Saviour of cities, harnessed in bronze, strong of arm, unwearying, mighty with the spear, O defence of
Olympus, father of warlike Victory, ally of Themis, stern governor of the rebellious, leader of
righteous men, sceptred King of manliness, who whirl your fiery sphere among the planets in their
sevenfold courses through the aether wherein your blazing steeds ever bear you above the third
firmament of heaven; hear me, helper of men, giver of dauntless youth! Shed down a kindly ray from
above upon my life, and strength of war, that I may be able to drive away bitter cowardice from my
head and crush down the deceitful impulses of my soul. Restrain also the keen fury of my heart
which provokes me to tread the ways of blood-curdling strife. Rather, O blessed one, give you me
boldness to abide within the harmless laws of peace, avoiding strife and hatred and the violent fiends
of death.

IX. TO ARTEMIS
(1-6) Muse, sing of Artemis, sister of the Far-shooter, the virgin who delights in arrows, who was
fostered with Apollo. She waters her horses from Meles deep in reeds, and swiftly drives her allgolden chariot through Smyrna to vine-clad Claros where Apollo, god of the silver bow, sits waiting
for the far-shooting goddess who delights in arrows.
(7-9) And so hail to you, Artemis, in my song and to all goddesses as well. Of you first I sing and
with you I begin; now that I have begun with you, I will turn to another song.

X. TO APHRODITE
(1-3) Of Cytherea, born in Cyprus, I will sing. She gives kindly gifts to men: smiles are ever on her
lovely face, and lovely is the brightness that plays over it.
(4-6) Hail, goddess, queen of well-built Salamis and sea-girt Cyprus; grant me a cheerful song. And
now I will remember you and another song also.

XI. TO ATHENA
(1-4) Of Pallas Athene, guardian of the city, I begin to sing. Dread is she, and with Ares she loves
deeds of war, the sack of cities and the shouting and the battle. It is she who saves the people as they
go out to war and come back.
(5) Hail, goddess, and give us good fortune with happiness!

XII. TO HERA
(1-5) I sing of golden-throned Hera whom Rhea bare. Queen of the immortals is she, surpassing
all in beauty: she is the sister and the wife of loud-thundering Zeus, – the glorious one whom all the
blessed throughout high Olympus reverence and honour even as Zeus who delights in thunder.

XIII. TO DEMETER
(1-2) I begin to sing of rich-haired Demeter, awful goddess, of her and of her daughter lovely
Persephone.
(3) Hail, goddess! Keep this city safe, and govern my song.

XIV. TO THE MOTHER OF THE GODS
(1-5) I prithee, clear-voiced Muse, daughter of mighty Zeus, sing of the mother of all gods and men.
She is well-pleased with the sound of rattles and of timbrels, with the voice of flutes and the outcry of
wolves and bright-eyed lions, with echoing hills and wooded coombes.
(6) And so hail to you in my song and to all goddesses as well!

XV. TO HERACLES THE LION-HEARTED
(1-8) I will sing of Heracles, the son of Zeus and much the mightiest of men on earth. Alcmena
bare him in Thebes, the city of lovely dances, when the dark-clouded Son of Cronos had lain with
her. Once he used to wander over unmeasured tracts of land and sea at the bidding of King
Eurystheus, and himself did many deeds of violence and endured many; but now he lives happily in
the glorious home of snowy Olympus, and has neat-ankled Hebe for his wife.
(9) Hail, lord, son of Zeus! Give me success and prosperity.

XVIII. TO HERMES
(1-9) I sing of Cyllenian Hermes, the Slayer of Argus, lord of Cyllene and Arcadia rich in flocks,
luck-bringing messenger of the deathless gods. He was born of Maia, the daughter of Atlas, when she
had made with Zeus, – a shy goddess she. Ever she avoided the throng of the blessed gods and lived
in a shadowy cave, and there the Son of Cronos used to lie with the rich-tressed nymph at dead of
night, while white-armed Hera lay bound in sweet sleep: and neither deathless god nor mortal man
knew it.
(10-11) And so hail to you, Son of Zeus and Maia; with you I have begun: now I will turn to
another song!
(12) Hail, Hermes, giver of grace, guide, and giver of good thing.


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder

"La poesia appartiene a chi ne ha bisogno, non a chi la scrive." - Il Postino (1994) #worldpoetryday

  Ode to the sea Here surrounding the island, There΄s sea. But what sea? It΄s always overflowing. Says yes, Then no, Then no again, And no, ...