29 Kasım 2019 Cuma

American Poetry I ACL 305: Pls Print out for class on 2.12.2019!


                                                                Joni Mitchell, 1976 | Joel Bernstein

Because I could not stop for Death (479)

 - 1830-1886
Because I could not stop for Death – 
He kindly stopped for me – 
The Carriage held but just Ourselves – 
And Immortality.
We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility – 
We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring – 
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain – 
We passed the Setting Sun – 
Or rather – He passed us – 
The Dews drew quivering and chill – 
For only Gossamer, my Gown – 
My Tippet – only Tulle – 
We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground – 
The Roof was scarcely visible – 
The Cornice – in the Ground – 
Since then – 'tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads
Were toward Eternity – 

Part Four: Time and Eternity
X
I DIED for beauty, but was scarce
Adjusted in the tomb,
When one who died for truth was lain
In an adjoining room.
  
He questioned softly why I failed?         5
“For beauty,” I replied.
“And I for truth,—the two are one;
We brethren are,” he said.
  
And so, as kinsmen met a night,
We talked between the rooms,         10
Until the moss had reached our lips,
And covered up our names.

“Faith” is fine invention (202)

“Faith” is a fine invention
For Gentlemen who see!
But Microscopes are prudent
In an Emergency!

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder

Fall, rosy garlands, from my head!

  pic: Cathédrale Notre-Dame September, 1819 By  William Wordsworth Departing summer hath assumed An aspect tenderly illumed, The gentlest l...