16 Ekim 2019 Çarşamba

ACL 359: Postmodern lit material for 22.10.2019




Eighth Sky
It is scribbled along the body
Impossible even to say a word
 
An alphabet has been stored beneath the ground
It is a practice alphabet, work of the hand
 
Yet not, not marks inside a box
For example, this is a mirror box
 
Spinoza designed such a box
and called it the Eighth Sky
 
called it the Nevercadabra House
as a joke
 
Yet not, not so much a joke
not Notes for Electronic Harp
 
on a day free of sounds
(but I meant to write “clouds”)
 
At night these same boulevards fill with snow
Lancers and dancers pass a poisoned syringe,
 
as you wrote, writing of death in the snow,
Patroclus and a Pharoah on Rue Ravignan
 
It is scribbled across each body
Impossible even to name a word
 
Look, you would say, how the sky falls
at first gently, then not at all
 
Two chemicals within the firefly are the cause,
twin ships, twin nemeses
 
preparing to metamorphose
into an alphabet in stone
 
 
                                                         St.-Benoit-sur-Loire
                                                         to Max Jacob

Transformation & Escape

1

I reached heaven and it was syrupy.
It was oppressively sweet.
Croaking substances stuck to my knees.
Of all substances St. Michael was stickiest.
I grabbed him and pasted him on my head.   
I found God a gigantic fly paper.
I stayed out of his way.
I walked where everything smelled of burnt chocolate.   
Meanwhile St. Michael was busy with his sword   
hacking away at my hair.
I found Dante standing naked in a blob of honey.   
Bears were licking his thighs.
I snatched St. Michael’s sword
and quartered myself in a great circular adhesive.   
My torso fell upon an elastic equilibrium.
As though shot from a sling
my torso whizzed at God fly paper.
My legs sank into some unimaginable sog.
My head, though weighed with the weight of St. Michael,   
did not fall.
Fine strands of multi-colored gum
suspended it there.
My spirit stopped by my snared torso.
I pulled! I yanked! Rolled it left to right!
It bruised! It softened! It could not free!
The struggle of an Eternity!
An Eternity of pulls! of yanks!
Went back to my head,
St. Michael had sucked dry my brainpan!
Skull!
My skull!
Only skull in heaven!
Went to my legs.
St. Peter was polishing his sandals with my knees!   
I pounced upon him!
Pummeled his face in sugar in honey in marmalade!   
Under each arm I fled with my legs!
The police of heaven were in hot pursuit!
I hid within the sop of St. Francis.
Gasping in the confectionery of his gentility   
I wept, caressing my intimidated legs.


2

They caught me.
They took my legs away.
They sentenced me in the firmament of an ass.
The prison of an Eternity!
An Eternity of labor! of hee-haws!
Burdened with the soiled raiment of saints
I schemed escape.
Lugging ampullae its daily fill
I schemed escape.
I schemed climbing impossible mountains.
I schemed under the Virgin’s whip.
I schemed to the sound of celestial joy.
I schemed to the sound of earth,
the wail of infants,   
the groans of men,   
the thud of coffins.   
I schemed escape.
God was busy switching the spheres from hand to hand.   
The time had come.
I cracked my jaws.   
Broke my legs.
Sagged belly-flat on plow
on pitchfork
on scythe.
My spirit leaked from the wounds.
A whole spirit pooled.
I rose from the carcass of my torment.   
I stood in the brink of heaven.
And I swear that Great Territory did quake   
when I fell, free.

Homework

Homage Kenneth Koch
If I were doing my Laundry I’d wash my dirty Iran
I’d throw in my United States, and pour on the Ivory Soap, scrub up Africa, put all the birds and elephants back in the jungle,
I’d wash the Amazon river and clean the oily Carib & Gulf of Mexico,   
Rub that smog off the North Pole, wipe up all the pipelines in Alaska,   
Rub a dub dub for Rocky Flats and Los Alamos, Flush that sparkly Cesium out of Love Canal
Rinse down the Acid Rain over the Parthenon & Sphinx, Drain Sludge out of the Mediterranean basin & make it azure again,
Put some blueing back into the sky over the Rhine, bleach the little Clouds so snow return white as snow,
Cleanse the Hudson Thames & Neckar, Drain the Suds out of Lake Erie   
Then I’d throw big Asia in one giant Load & wash out the blood & Agent Orange,
Dump the whole mess of Russia and China in the wringer, squeeze out the tattletail Gray of U.S. Central American police state,
& put the planet in the drier & let it sit 20 minutes or an Aeon till it came out clean.
 
Boulder, April 26, 1980

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder

Fall, rosy garlands, from my head!

  pic: Cathédrale Notre-Dame September, 1819 By  William Wordsworth Departing summer hath assumed An aspect tenderly illumed, The gentlest l...